Friday, July 1, 2011

Cock a Doodle Do!


Well, I sure hope there's no crowing going on because we supposedly just welcomed four HENS to our family.  Their names are appropriately Dora (The Explorer), Maria (VonTrapp),  Charlotte (the Spider) and Mary (Poppins).  I have been wanting chickens for a while (yes, I might be crazy) and I knew Mattie would love them. I think it might be my Oklahoma roots coming out!   I was so excited to finally get to call my Uncle Doug for some chicken advice!

So, Pete got a great design from a friend and he and Scottongim got it built in a single day. 


It is the COOLEST design for a chicken house ... We can move it around the yard, they lay their eggs in this semi - external nesting box (which means we don't have to crawl in the nastiness to get them) and they have a food chute on the outside that I can put their food in each morning.   We love them!  And I think they love us.  They don't even mind when Mattie goes in with them and tries to "hold them."  

So far M loves going out each morning to check on them, feed them, and look for eggs.  She literally wakes up asking about them first thing.  She even remembers to save some of our food scraps for them at meals (so sweet).


We have only had one semi-insane moment and that was when The Animal Lover set them free in the yard and it took me, my mom (and Mattie thought she was helping) 30 minutes to get them back in the coop.  She thought it was HILARIOUS to see mom running all over the yard like a chicken with her head cut off (pun intended).   Somehow after escaping to the neighbors yard, the front yard, and all through our gardens and sauna, they all made it back in alive.   The dogs were even in the yard and didn't try anything crazy.
 

We get 4 eggs each day and I could practically time when they lay them.  Gotta love the girls!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...