Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Fly Shop Chronicles

Another totally truthful account of my day.

Brooke answers the ever ringing phone and it appears there is someone with a lovely southern accent on the end of the line, interested in a fly fishing trip in a few weeks.

After walking him through the basics of the trip - differences in a walk / wade trip and a float trip he decides on a float trip along the Yellowstone River, one in which he will be in a boat for the entire day on the very popular river.

I ask him where he is staying?

Cooke City. Can you tell me about Cooke City?

Brooke says, "well, it's a very 'rustic' town, dirt road, very quiet, quite primitive. It's on the NE Border of Yellowstone. Has a gas station and a few restaurants. After the 2000 Census the population of the town was 140. There is only 1 way in during the winter months and that is a 2 hour drive through Yellowstone National Park... It is VERY small, even for Montana standards."

"So, what is there to do in Cooke City besides going to the Park?"

"Um.... Hike."

"Well, I know that, but what else?"

"Eat."

"How is the bear situation? Will I need my gun?"

"Um... There are MANY bears in that area, a gun is up to you, bear spray would be sufficient if you are getting into the trails at all."

"So, do you spray them and then shoot them?"

"NO! - try to avoid shooting if necessary... The pepper spray is pretty powerful and works well, that should be all you need."

"Ok, so will my guide be carrying spray on our fishing trip?"

"If you fish the Yellowstone River that is very unlikely, you will be in much more visited area where there are no bears and they will not come off the banks to the boat to get you."

"Can I request that he carry a gun anyways?"

"No. You will not encounter a grizzly bear in the boat."

"If he did carry a gun or spray, would he just keep it on his hip in the boat?"

"Sir, you will be fishing a river that runs along a main highway, there are no bears and your guide will NOT carry pepper spray or a gun."

"How do I ship my own gun to Montana if I want to have one on me when we hike?"

"You will need to call your airlines for that question."

3 comments:

Mel said...

I LOVE that story. Especially the "do you spray them and then shoot them?". You should have told him to spray himself, like bug spray, to keep the bears away.

Jacqueline said...

OMG.....people are SOOOO SMART!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I also love the spray then shoot comment. I am dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your life cracks me up.
mic
We miss you guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...